Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Plant Quiz 2 Answers

I posted a plant quiz last Wednesday on December 1st that you can see by clicking here. Today, below this picture of Kodi, I've posted the answers. But first, another correction to my clues. I used the word "native" too loosely; actually I should have avoided it all together. Several of the plants in this quiz are not native to our region, and one originated in Eurasia. A better descriptor would have simply been that I commonly see these plants on my walkabouts with Kodi.


Here we go:

 sensitive fern, common milkweed, eastern hemlock, shagbark hickory, white pine

black locust, speckled alder, wild cucumber, red oak, common burdock

The black locust is native to Pennsylvania and parts south, but has become naturalized in our region. Common burdock is from Eurasia. The others are native, or at least have been here a long, long time. The wild cucumber (Echinocystis lobata) is unusual -- a vine-like plant that grows like a gourd -- but prevalent in one place we visit regularly.

Look for future quizzes on the first day of each month.

No comments:

Post a Comment

First Walks of 2024

We rise early, well before sunrise. It helps to go to bed early. Fortunately the New Year's Eve celebratory fireworks in the neighborhoo...