Friday, July 22, 2011

Coping with Heat

Kodi figured it out this morning. While I was watering the vegetable garden he dug a cool spot at the edge of the perennial bed.


As I was watering the tomatoes, I noticed the first two tomato hornworms of the season. I always dread finding these, because it's a little icky to squish them, so green and juicy they are.


On a sweet note, this is the best year for our six blueberry bushes. We manage to harvest a small crop each day - enough for granola and ice cream -- before the birds and chipmunks find them. Kodi is indifferent to fruits and vegetables, so we don't worry about him nibbling at the bushes. Our previous dogs loved fruits; they would pick blueberries and raspberries straight from the bushes. We've also picked gobs of blueberries from Inkwell Farm, a nearby organic farm that is loaded with berries.

3 comments:

  1. So much conveyed about summertime in just 3 photos!

    Great stuff, Ellen, as always!

    John

    ReplyDelete
  2. I used to have a mystery critter eating my raspberries. Then I caught it red-handed...my chocolate lab. He loves fruits! Apples, too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. John -- And boy was it a summer day today!

    Casey -- yes, labs love fruits, well anything actually

    ReplyDelete

First Walks of 2024

We rise early, well before sunrise. It helps to go to bed early. Fortunately the New Year's Eve celebratory fireworks in the neighborhoo...