Friday, May 20, 2011

A Wet Week

I just checked the UNH Weather website. Rain fell every day this week, beginning last Saturday, with nearly an inch on Sunday and Wednesday. The total rainfall was only 2.5 inches; it seemed like much more. Today was the first day without measurable rainfall, although the sun remains AWOL. Still, let's celebrate that today was simply cloudy.

Kodi and I wandered back to the wetland this afternoon. He sniffs nearly every sedge blade and shrub stem. I wish I knew what he learned during his wanderings. Since I could only smell dampness, I captured my images on film. Here are some scenes from the woods and wetlands behind our house after a week of rain.

Bunchberry (Cornus canadensis)


Hummock sedge (Carex stricta)

A fern unfolds

A horsetail's fertile and sterile stem,

and a giant, old fallen pine harbors other plants and animals







No comments:

Post a Comment

First Walks of 2024

We rise early, well before sunrise. It helps to go to bed early. Fortunately the New Year's Eve celebratory fireworks in the neighborhoo...